Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week Ten

Today I had to leave my family and come back to school. What a drag. It was not fun at all. But I knew I had to come back and start getting ready for the week of school ahead. But at least I don't have a few classes this week because it's participation week.

Before this week starts, I like to watch a few shows like tonight at 7 is Amazing Race. This show has teams racing around the world for a million dollars. This season they brought back teams from former season that hadn't won. When I first saw who was on the show, I freaked out. Three of my favorites teams were coming back to the show. I started thinking back to what happened to them in recent episodes.

One team I love is a mother son team. The son is deaf and uses sign language to speak. He relies on visual symbols for everything.


I started to think about what it would be like if I could only speak with my hands and rely on others to communicate with visuals of their hands. If I had lost my hearing, how would I communicate without knowing the language? I have learned two songs in sign language for Camp Adventure this year but most of those words would not help me communicate in real life situations. I would have to rely on drawing pictures or writing out what I wanted to know and others would have to do the same. But I would get used to it after a while and I would be able to see things through a new light and come to appreciate the little things I hadn't noticed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment